The Gibson Music Scholarship award was established through a generous gift from the estate of former SKCMTA member Leaine Gibson.
This award is given annually to one or more high school seniors who are students of SKCMTA members and who intend to pursue music as a major or minor at the college level. Scholarship money is awarded for one year and will be given directly to the institution.
The scholarship process includes two steps:
- The scholarship application, including cover letter and essay:
- Application includes full name, date of birth, mailing address, phone number, email address, name of SKCMTA teacher, college and intended major/minor
- Essay should be no more than 3 pages long, using a music quote of the applicant choosing as a prompt (see example below*), and answering the following questions:
- What interests and excites you about music?
- How has studying music helped you grow as a person?
- What are your plans for music studies at the college level?
- What are your goals/ambitions in the world of music?
- The presentation/interview: Candidates who submit applications on time and are deemed qualified by the scholarship committee will be invited to make a 10 minute presentation of themselves to SKCMTA teachers on Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 9:30 am, in person or by Zoom. Creativity is encouraged! This award is not based on performance, but a short musical demonstration to illustrate a point is welcomed as part of the presentation.
Submitting Your Application
Email cover letter and essay to scholarship committee chair Nancy Gregory ([email protected]) by Tuesday, April 11, 2023, 11:59 PT.
*Example of music quote: “Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life, bringing peace, abolishing strife.” – Khalil Gibran